Foi means threads, Thong means gold. Foi Thong is a Thai dessert influenced by the Portuguese. This dessert usually makes its appearance after many Thai ceremonies. Thai believe that Thong brings luck to our life. My daughter loves having it which I guess is lucky :). Whenever I made Meringue or Pavlova which use a lot of egg whites I go on and make this treat for her.
- 9 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- few drops of rosewater
- 3 pandanus leaves
- 2 tablespoons water - part of egg's white
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 10 inches x 10 inches banana leave, make cone shape or piping bag
- 2 skewers
- Prepare eggs; separate egg yolks and egg whites and strain egg yolks on muslin cotton
- Mix egg yolks, and vegetable oil until combined.
- In the brass saucepan or non stick saucepan is an option, mix together the water, rosewater, and sugar. Tight pandanus leaves and put in sugar pot.
- In medium heat, heat the sugar mixed until boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat, sugar is bubbling like whirlpool in the middle then put egg yolk in banana cone
- Pipe egg yolk into bubbling sugar mixture, and make about 30 circles, let it cook for 1-2 minutes use 2 skewers to fold and rest on cooling tray.
- Repeat no.6 until all the egg yolk is cooked